PRACTICALLY USELESS TRAVEL TRIVIA
1. If you were to travel to every island and islet in the Japanese Archipelago, how many
trips would you need to make?
2. What is Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu?
It is the name of a coastal hill 60 miles/97 kilometers south of Napier, North
Island, New Zealand.
3. What country is the birthplace of tulips, the croissant, and modern nursing?
Turkey. Tulips were exported to Netherlands in the 17th century. Croissant is
the shape of the Islamic crescent. Florence Nightingale invented modern
nursing in Istanbul during the Crimean War in the 19th Century.
4. The pyramids of Egypt are the only surviving wonder of the original seven wonders of
the world. How many original pyramids are there?
Three. Khufu (the largest), Khafra, and Menkaura all located at Giza, just
outside of Cairo.
5. Bali Indonesia has become a well-known vacation spot. Yet you may know that it is
only one of many islands in Indonesia. Just how many islands make up Indonesia?
About 13,000 islands. Of them, 6,000 are inhabited, but only six are considered
major: Bali, Java, Sulawesi, Sumatra, Irian Jaya, and Kalimantan.
6. How many different languages are spoken in the world?
It is estimated that there are between 4,000 and 10,000 languages spoken
worldwide, not including dialects.
7. What percentage of the land in Peru is covered by the Amazon jungle?
More than 60% of Peru is covered by the Amazon.
8. The highest ever temperature in North America was recorded where?
Death Valley, California, recorded a temperature of 134 degrees Fahrenheit
(57 degrees Celsius) in 1913.
9. Which South American country's name is said to have come from the cry of a native
Chile. Early Spanish explorers are said to have named the country after the
cry of a local bird.
Hawaii's eight major islands, from largest to smallest are:
The Big Island of Hawaii (4,028 square miles), Maui (727),
Oahu (597), Kauai (552), Molokai (260), Lanai (141),
Niihau (70) and Kahoolawe (45).
11. What is the approximate population of the United Kingdom?
2005 estimate is about 60.4 million.
SIMILARITIES... WHICH IS WHICH?
How can you tell if you're in Monaco or Indonesia???
13. The Nile River flows North!
14. Texas has 624 miles of ocean beach.
15. The front doorknob at Graceland is the most replaced item, with 750,000 visitors annually.
We have found the perfect cruise booking system. Not only are the prices lower than anywhere else, it's fast and easy to use. Choose your own cabin, your own dining times, do it online or on the phone, toll free!
TRY IT NOW
|POSTERS, PRINTS, ART|
POSTERS and PRINTS
Buy art, perfect for gifts. Framed or unframed, 2003 calendars too!